What is the Crystal Geyser Project?
On Friday March 18, 2016 the Crystal Geyser Water Company submitted a conditional use permit application requesting approval to install a caretaker's/security residence at their Mt. Shasta facility. On March 23, 2016, the Siskiyou County Community Development Department informed Crystal Geyser that the use permit is a discretionary project and is subject to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
The issue is that while the bottling facility operation is a permitted use under the subject property's heavy industrial zoning classification, the installation of the caretaker's residence is a discretionary action under CEQA. In making the determination about the appropriate level of the environmental document for the use permit application, County staff considered the whole of the bottling operations. In addition, staff also considered that while the project does require discretionary permits from other agencies, these other agencies only have permitting responsibilities for certain limited aspects of the entire bottling facility. This permitting arrangement has led to considerable concern voiced by the community over the potential of unaddressed environmental impacts. To analyze the defined project and to address the permitting concerns, the County informed Crystal Geyser that an environmental impact report (EIR) was required to be prepared in conjunction with the submitted use permit application.
The following are the highlights associated with preparing the EIR:
- Siskiyou County, as the Lead Agency, has selected an independent environmental consultant to prepare the EIR.
- The selected consultant has examined and analyzed all potential environmental impacts associated with the plant operations as part of the EIR.
- Crystal Geyser Water Company will pay for the cost of the EIR, including the County's administrative costs.
- The estimated time to complete the EIR is twelve months.
- Publication of the Notice of Preparation occurred on June 24, 2016.
- Comments received were reviewed by the Consultant.
- Public Scoping Meeting- occurred on Wednesday, July 20, 2016
- Public Review comment period on the Draft Environmental Impact Report closed on February 27, 2017 at 5:00 p.m..
- The Final EIR is available in the Crystal Geyser Project Resources at the bottom of this web page.
- The Planning Commission regular meeting of September 20, 2017 has been continued to Wednesday September 27, 2017 at 12:00 Noon in the Miners Inn Convention Center Auditorium. Though the address is 122 E Miner Street, Yreka California, access is off of Main Street. Look for the Miners Inn Convention Center sign with the statue of a miner in front of it. It is the second Miners Inn driveway off of Main Street..
- The Planning Commission business that is continued from the September 20, 2017 regular meeting to September 27, 2017 is the Crystal Geyser Water Company Use Permit (UP-167-03). The public hearing on this item of business was closed on September 20, 2017. The Notice and Order of Adjournment and Continuance has been issued and and posted. The agenda for the continued regular Planning Commission meeting to be held on September 27, 2017 has also been posted. The September 27, 2017 Planning Commission Supplemental Staff Report Packet is available. .
Public Comments: Public Comments that have been received and posted.
PLEASE NOTE: The cutoff for comments on the Crystal Geyser project for the 9-20-17 hearing is 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday 9-19-17. The hearing on the Crystal Geyser project and the Final Environmental Impact Report will be held on 9-20-17 pursuant to the Notice of Public Hearing. You do NOT need to call to confirm the time and place of this hearing. Posted (9/19.17)
The Final Environmental Document (FEIR) and the Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) are available below in the "Crystal Geyser Project Resources" at the bottom of this page. Please note there are separate documents for all the sections of the FEIR, DEIR and appendices. At the end are reference documents that are incorporated into the DEIR by reference. Type FEIR in the "Search within Resource Title" box and click the "Apply" button. This will sort all of the FEIR documents to the front of the Resources.
CORRECTION: "FEIR Volume I - Section 1.0 - Introduction" now has the correct document (Corrected on 9-11-17).
ALL PAPER COPIES AND CDs of the FEIR are correct.