French German Italian Russian
-A A +A

Tax Collector Division - Business Licenses

The Business License Tax Unit of the Treasurer-Tax Collector's Office is primarily responsible for enforcing collection of business license taxes and issuing licenses to persons engaged in business activities in the unincorporated areas of Siskiyou County as prescribed by the Siskiyou County Ordinance Chapter 3.04.

Who is required to have a SIskiyou County Business License?

It is unlawful for any person to transact any kind of business in the unincorporated territory of the County without possessing an unexpired and unrevoked county business license unless the business is exempt from the license requirements.

Annual Renewal Required

Business licenses must be renewed annually. A renewal notice will be mailed to you in the month prior to your renewal date.


The general business license fee is $76.00 annually

Step 1.  Start at the Tax Collector's Office

Start by obtaining a Business License Application. Print each of the following documents:

  1. Application
  2. Business License Application Steps
  3. Business License Information

Complete the name and ownership information requested on the front half of the application.

NOTE:  to expedite the process, it is advised that you go to each department in person

Step 2.  Planning Department  530-841-2100, 806 South Main Street, Yreka

If your business is located in an unincorporated area of Siskiyou County, your application must be approved by the Siskiyou County Planning Department (located at 806 S Main St. in Yreka). If you intend to conduct your business out of your residence, a Home Occupancy Use Permit will be required in addition of a County Business License. A planner will assist you in determining requirements, prior to that department's approval of your application.

Step 3.  Health Department 530-841-2100, 806 South Main Street, Yreka

The following businesses require Health Department approval:

  • Restaurants and other businesses handling food
  • Businesses installing, pumping or repairing septic tanks
  • Businesses using or storing paint and/or other chemicals

Step 4. Building Department  530-841-2100, 806 South Main Street, Yreka

If your business is located in the unincorporated areas of Siskiyou County and customers are coming into your business; Building Department approval is required.

Step 5. Sheriff's Department 530-842-8301

Door-to-door and itinerant or mobile sales units must have their Business License Application approved by the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Department, 305 Butte Street, Yreka, CA 96097. Itinerant or mobile sales units must also, prior to making sales, obtain permission from the owner of the commercial property on which they plan to locate their unit.

Any business with the use, sale or storage or manufacture of blasting agents, explosives or gunpowder must obtain the Sheriff's Department approval of the Business License Application.

Step 6. Return the the Tax Collector's Office

Once all of the appropriate department approvals are attained, return your completed business license application with $76.00 to the Tax Collector's office

Make checks payable to:  Wayne Hammar, Tax Collector

When the completed application and the appropriate fee is received, your business license will be mailed to the mailing address on the application within seven working days.


The following businesses are exempt from business license requirements:

  1. Agriculture. Includes the sale of agricultural products upon the premises where it is produced.
  2. Employment. A person who works for another at an agreed rate of compensation.
  3. Charities. Religious, service, fraternal, farmers, church, charitable and nonprofit organizations.


A State Contractor's License is required. The name on the business license application must match exactly the name on the State Contractor's License. This information will be verified by Tax Collector personnel.

If you are a building contractor located within Siskiyou County the Building Division will need to approve, if you are living in the unincorporated area of the County, the Planning Division will also need to approve the application.

If you are a building contractor from outside the County you must make sure you have a State license number as the number will be verified.

What Kind of a Business Will You Have?

  1. If people will be coming into the business, the Building Division will need to approve the application.
  2. If you will be providing a service out in the County, the Planning Division will need to approve and issue a Home Occupancy Use Permit.
  3. If there is some type of production occurring on location, the Planning Division will need to approve and issue a Complete Home Occupancy User Permit and the Health Department may need to approve as well depending on the type of production.

What Is Your Business Name?

You might want to check with the Clerk's Office for the code requirements of a Fictitious Business Name.

Applications to Sell Firearms

Applications to sell firearms must be accompanied by copies of all of the following:

  1. Valid Federal Firearms License
  2. Valid California Seller's Permit
  3. Certificate of eligibility  from the Department of Justice
  4. Valid local firearms dealer license including any additional regulatory or business licensesIs) required by local government.

NOTE 1: The approved application is not a license to conduct business activities. Once issued, the business license must be exhibited in a conspicuous place. Each solicitor must have an individual license in his/her possession at all times.

NOTE 2:  Businesses located in the incorporated areas of SIskiyou County are required to obtain a separate business license for those jurisdictions.



Need a Seller's Permit?  Getting One Has Never Been Easier

If you are in business, you may need a Seller’s Permit from the State Board of Equalization. It’s easy to apply – you can visit a Board office or apply by mail. Your choices are explained below.

You need a permit...

Generally, you must obtain a seller’s permit if you are engaged in business in California and sell or lease merchandise, vehicles, or other tangible personal property that is subject to sales or use tax. Retailers and wholesalers are required to obtain a permit, as are persons who make temporary sales – such as sales made at swap meets and fairs, where a temporary permit is normally required.

In fact, making taxable sales without a valid permit is a misdemeanor under California’s Sales and Use Tax Law and is subject to fines and penalties.

As a retailer, you must report sales or use tax based on your sales, leases, and rentals. However, if you have a valid seller’s permit, you can be reimbursed by your customers for taxes due on your transactions.

You can apply…

  1. By Mail: Call the Board’s toll-free number, 800-400-7115, to request an Express Registration package. Normally, materials will be mailed to you by the second business day following your call.
  2. In Person: Stop by your nearest Board office. We’ll ask for information about your business – estimated income and expenses, for example, and about yourself – your social security and driver’s license number. If you purchased your business, we’ll want to know the name and permit number of the former owner. Normally, you’ll have your permit the same day.

Permits are issued free of charge. However, depending on your type of business, you may be asked for a security deposit to ensure payment of taxes.

If you have questions...

The best way to find out whether sales and use tax applies to your transactions is to contact the nearest Board of Equalization office. Staff will be glad to answer your questions and requests for advice. However, for your protection, it is best to get tax advice in writing. Not only will that give us more information on which to base our advice, it may protect you from owing tax, penalty, or interest charges if we should give you erroneous advice. For this relief to apply, a request must be in writing, identify the taxpayer to whom the advice applies, and fully describe the facts and circumstances of the transaction.

For General Tax Information Call 1-800-400-7115

Sacramento Headquarters
450 North Street
P.O. Box 942879
Sacramento, CA 94279-0001
Phone: 916-445-6464
Redding Office
391 Hemsted Drive
P.O. Box 492529
Redding, CA 96049-2529
Phone: 530-224-4729

Treasurer-Tax Collector Resource Center

Resource Title Downloadable File Type
Business License Application Download File Application
Payment Plan Form for Delinquent Taxes Download File Application
Tax Sale - Listings, May 2018 Download File Other
Tax Sale Results - May 2018 Download File Other
Tax Sale - Frequently Asked Questions Download File Other
Tax Sale - Terms of Sale (Current) Download File Other
Tax Sale - 2018 Publication Download File Other